Understated on the outside, simple upscale décor on the inside, the new State Street Eating House + Cocktails is now serving lunch, afternoon snacks and dinner daily, Tuesday through Saturday from 11:30am-11:30pm. Occupying the former location of the Old Heidelberg Pastry Shop, the transformation from a working bakery to urban chic eating house is amazing. Utilizing the high ceilings, exposed brick, rafters, duct work, glass and wood, the design team created a space that is modern, minimalist and urban, yet warm and inviting—an excellent backdrop for the food and cocktails.
As the name implies, the focus at State Street is balanced between food and drink. There is a large stylish bar with mixologists ready to blend classic cocktails or pour a glass of wine or beer. The setting is reminiscent of bygone supper clubs with a modern-day twist and style. The menu shares a similar concept offering American classic comfort food with a contemporary gourmet twist. For our meals we chose the following:
- Chopped Butter Lettuce Salad: With American blue cheese, bacon lardon, fresh corn, avocado, tomato, toasted walnut and verjus-honey vinaigrette. $8.50 A good-sized portion, very nice presentation, fresh and flavorful.
- Pan Seared Wild Salmon: With hashed gold potato, shallot, baby arugula and grilled lemon. $17.00 Nicely plated , moist fresh salmon, excellent flavor.
- Roasted Hog Fish: With thyme, preserved lemon, kale and wild rice. $19.00 Nice presentation served over wild rice and kale in a skillet; great combination of taste and texture.
- Slow Roasted Whole Chicken: “For two,” stuffed with oranges and rosemary. $26.50 A whole roasted chicken, incredibly moist, served with gravy. Smelled like “home,” tasted even better!
- Brussel Sprouts: Side order, roasted in duck fat. $5.00 Tender and delicious! Best Brussel sprouts ever!
- French Style Whipped Idaho Potato: Side order. $4.00 A small sized portion but smooth as silk.
- Braised Kale with Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper: Side order. $5.00 If you like kale, you will enjoy this.
As stated earlier, the State Street Eating House offers a full bar service, beer, wine and soft drinks to accompany your meal. We found the wait staff to be friendly, knowledgeable and efficient, but at times trying too hard to be “hip.” Although this was not an issue for us, it was noticeable and might be problematic for others.
The State Street Eating House + Cocktails has refined and updated the supper club concept. Serving high quality modern day comfort foods with classic cocktails in a stylish urban chic setting is the perfect recipe for a downtown restaurant. State Street Eating House + Cocktails is off to a great start.
State Street Eating House + Cocktails
1533 State Street
Sarasota, Fl 34236