Since Sept. 18 marked National Cheeseburger Day, it seemed fitting to review Square 1 Burgers & Bar. Square 1 came to Florida several years ago with a location in Tampa, opened by longtime restaurateurs Bill Shumate and Joanie Corneil (Bella’s Italian Café). Square 1 opened its first Sarasota location on the South Trail in December of 2010. The second Sarasota location at the University Park Center opened in the spring of 2011. Subsequent locations were added this year in Brandon and Fort Meyers.
Square 1 Burgers & Bar is focused on fun! The décor is bright, colorful and whimsical. With flat-screen TVs, booths creating private spaces, tables and a large bar area, the furnishings set the stage for the dining experience.
Offering soups, salads, appetizers, burgers, sliders, vegetarian options and luscious desserts, the menu at Square 1 is extensive. Serving nine types of burgers (kobe beef, angus beef, buffalo, chicken, turkey, ahi tuna, ostrich, portabello mushroom and veggie) there are a multitude of combinations from which to choose. For our meals, we sampled the following:
- Fried Dill Pickle Chips: Battered dill pickle slices lightly fried, served with peppercorn ranch dressing. $6.49
Sweet and briny with a cool, creamy sauce; indescribably delicious.
Large, light, crispy, and sweet, these rings are stacked high.
Homemade Double Dipped Onion Rings: If you’ve never had them, you will flip out. Seriously. Served with our homemade Sooner sauce. $7.99
- Square 1 Chopped Salad: Mixed greens, premium hickory smoked bacon, sun-dried tomato, pepper jack cheese, chopped tomato, red cabbage and roasted corn and black bean salsa tossed in a Dijon vinaigrette dressing. Half $4.99 Whole $7.99
A great combination of crisp, cool greens punctuated with crunchy, smoky bits of bacon and sweet chewy pieces of sun-dried tomato.
- Angus in the Garden: Choice of 100% Angus or chicken burger topped with cheddar cheese over mixed greens, with toasted corn and black bean salsa, scallions and tortilla strips, tossed in tangy Russian dressing and served with a dollop of sour cream and fried jalapenos. Angus $9.99 Chicken $10.99
A large portion of fresh, crisp greens, with a very slight Southwest flavor.
- Theta Burger: An Oklahoma favorite. 100% Angus, barbecue sauce, mayonnaise, dill pickle slices and cheddar cheese on a sesame bun. $7.99
A large, juicy burger cooked to order with smoky sweet sauce. Melt-in-your-mouth good.
A juicy, tasty, classic burger served on a great bun.
All American Square Deal Burger: 100% Angus burger on a sesame bun with American cheese, curly leaf lettuce, beefsteak tomato, red onion and mayonnaise. $6.99
- Chicken Sliders: Three mini ground chicken burgers topped with provolone, sun-dried tomato mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato. $7.99
Tender chicken topped with crisp lettuce and a lightly sweet sauce; fresh, soft, spongy buns.
- X-Rated Grilled Cheese: Gruyère and sharp cheddar cheeses, dill pickle slices, beefsteak tomato and mayonnaise melted between two slices of grilled sourdough bread. Truly sinful! $7.99
Gooey, moist, pull-apart stringy; a rich, filling combination.
- Devilishly Dark Sundae: Dark chocolate cupcake with buttercream chocolate frosting, Bluebell vanilla ice cream and house-made hot fudge. Topped with a strawberry and candied sugar. Full $4.99 Petite $2.99
Delicious … need we say more?
Square 1 Burgers offers a full bar, beer, wine, and soft drinks to accompany your meal. We’d like to give a special shout-out to the wait staff for their very friendly, attentive and efficient service. Our experience with the staff has been exemplary on a number of occasions. Well done. Square 1 also offers curbside pick-up at all its locations.
Square 1 Burgers & Bar strikes a great dining balance by serving foods reminiscent of simpler times yet updated with options for today’s healthier dining preferences and tastes. With its very casual and whimsical décor, Square 1 is a great place to unwind, meet some friends for a casual meal or simply have a beer. Just remember, the keyword at Square 1 is fun!
1737 South Tamiami Trail
Sarasota, FL 34239
5239 University Parkway
Sarasota, FL 34201