Just one block north of Five Points, across from the Selby Library and tucked in around the corner from Starbucks is a quiet, understated, Japanese restaurant named Tsunami. Its opening less than six months behind it, Tsunami’s décor is dark, rich and casually elegant with a well-sized sushi bar and comfortable dining room.
The menu itself is a tsunami of options ranging from sushi, sashimi, traditional rolls, hand rolls, special rolls, hibachi specials, traditional entrees, appetizers, soups and salads. There are daily lunch specials including Bento Boxes. For our meals we chose the following:
- Avocado Salad: Avocado and garden greens with ginger dressing. $4.95 A nice, fresh combination of vegetables; the ginger dressing was thick but not overpowering, very tasty.
- Seaweed Salad: $4.95 A large-sized portion, deep green and crunchy.
- Every Green Roll: Avocado, cucumber, asparagus. $4.95 Vegetarian roll, crunchy and creamy.
- Yellowtail Roll: $5.50 Fresh with a soft texture.
- Spicy Tuna Roll: Spicy tuna with crunch. $5.95
A fresh, vibrant flavor; not too spicy.
- Fresh Salmon Sushi: $4.95
A delicate taste and texture.
- Tuna (Maguro) Sushi: $5.50 A classic sushi, rich and flavorful.
- Smoked Salmon Sushi: $5.50 A subtle smoky flavor.
- Shrimp (Ebi) Sushi: $3.50 A simple sushi; great for people new to the cuisine.
- Octopus (Tako) Sushi: $4.95 Great chewy texture.
- Scallop (Hotate) Sushi: $5.50 Smooth, subtle taste and texture.
- Squid (Ika) Sushi: $4.50 Another chewy sushi; great texture and color.
- Chicken and Scallop Hibachi: Served with soup, salad, vegetable and fried rice. $18.95 A large-sized portion. The miso soup was a bit too salty, but the salad was fresh and simple with a subtle ginger dressing. Nice-sized pieces of grilled, moist chicken and scallops, ample rice and veggies; a hearty meal.
- Salmon Teriyaki: Grilled salmon served with vegetables, traditional teriyaki sauce and white rice. All entrees served with soup and salad. $16.95 Nice presentation of fresh, moist, fish, veggies, and rice; once again a large portion.
Tsunami offers a full bar service, beer, wine, sake and soft drinks to accompany your meal. Happy hour is available daily from 4 to 7 p.m. with beer, sake and house wine priced at $1.95. The waitstaff is very fast, friendly, efficient and helpful in offering suggestions and descriptions of various specials on the menu.
With fresh, flavorful food served in a non-traditional Japanese setting, in generous portions and at reasonable prices, Tsunami Sushi & Hibachi Grill is a welcomed addition to downtown Sarasota dining.
Tsunami Sushi & Hibachi Grill
100 Central Avenue
Sarasota, Fl 34236