Nancy’s and barbecue have become synonymous in Sarasota. Originally serving her North Carolina-styled barbecue from a mobile cart at various events and locations throughout the city, Nancy partnered with the Caragiulo family (Caragiulos, Owen’s Fish Camp, Shore Diner) to open a more permanent location. After renovating a long-standing building on the corner of Ringling Boulevard and South Pineapple Avenue with a distinct Southern Bar-B-Q motif, Nancy’s new “BBQ joint” took shape and began serving the Sarasota community from its Burns Square location in March, 2011.
The menu consists of barbecued pork, chicken, ribs, brisket and salmon served in sandwiches, combo trays or salads. There are a number of hot and cold sides to accompany your meal. For our meals we chose the following:
- Brisket Sandwich: All meat items include two sides. We chose baked beans with pork and edamame succotash. $8.95
The brisket was stringy, moist and full of layered flavor … just the way I like it!
- Pulled Pork Sandwich: For our sides this time, we chose baked beans with pork and red skin potato salad. $6.95
Very flavorful and smoky. We added some sweet sauce and it topped it off perfectly.
- Smoked Chicken Chopped Salad: Clemson blue cheese, bacon, corn, edamame, smoked almonds, red bell pepper, scallions, herb vinaigrette. $8.95
Fresh-made large portion, flavorful, colorful; a nice alternative for the non-barbecue fan in the group.
- Texas Holy Trinity: Ribs, brisket, Texas Hot Link served with two sides. $17.95
Truly for the barbecue lover, the ribs were meaty and fall-off-the-bone delicious. We added some spicy sauce to the brisket and enjoyed the “chipotle kick.” The sausage was mouth-wateringly spicy and served with a nice mustard.
- Pulled Chicken Tray: Seven ounces on the tray, plus your choice of two sides. We chose cold cucumber salad and sesame slaw $8.95
A large portion of delicious pulled chicken! The side salads were very refreshing.
This new addition to the menu is outstanding … very juicy, filling and completely satisfying.
Nancy’s Po’Boy: Three ounces of beef brisket with three ounces of pork topped with creole mustard, creamy cole slaw and provolone cheese on a sourdough roll. Plus your choice of two sides. We chose mac and cheese and potato salad. $10.95
Nancy’s Bar-B-Q is set up as a quick-serve restaurant, which means the food is readily available, ordered from the counter, placed on tray, paid for, and then you pick your own table, inside or out. The staffers are friendly, customer-focused and efficient. Nancy’s offers a reasonable selection of soft drinks, beer and wine to accompany your meal.
To borrow from Dos Equis’ Most Interesting Man in the World, “I do not eat BBQ everyday, but when I do, I am at Nancy’s.” Could not agree more!
301 South Pineapple Avenue
Sarasota, FL 34236