While people across America are trying to find ways to keep cool during one of the hottest summers on record, don’t forget about your four-legged friends and keeping them cool, too! Check out some of these tips from Marilee Namaka, the General Manager of the new Bayside Pet Resort and Spa, now open in Sarasota.
Tips for Keeping Your Dogs Cool This Summer!
• Limit your pets’ outdoor activities during the hottest part of the day.
• Make sure your pets always have fresh, clean water at all times.
• If you are thinking about taking your pet to a special outdoor event, take into consideration the time you’ll be spending outdoors and the type of surfaces your dog will be walking on. Concrete and asphalt can get very hot and burn the pads of your dogs’ feet after prolonged exposure.
•Pools are a great way to keep your dog cool outdoors. Small children’s pools are perfect for dogs to splash around and even lie down in for a soak. Keep the pools in a shady area and change the water frequently. Just remember to supervise your pets around water, especially in large family pools.
• Dogs with thin hair coats and/or white skin can sunburn easily. Make sure you limit sun exposure for those pets.
• Certain breeds with thick hair coats and breeds such as boxers, pugs and bulldogs are more susceptible to the heat and may take a longer time cooling off.
• There are a lot of products available to help your pets during the summer months. Cooling mats, vests and collars are made to keep pets cool. Misting systems, shade cloth and fans can also help keep outdoor areas several degrees cooler.
• Most importantly, keep a close eye on your pet during outdoor activities and call your veterinarian immediately if you think your pet may be suffering from heat stroke or heat exhaustion.
The Bayside Pet Resort staff wishes you and your pets a cool summer! For more information, go to www.baysidepetresort.com.